6:35 PM

1920 Liberty Touring Car

Posted by Steve |



This is my grandfather, Frank Miley, with his 1920 Liberty. He is the man who restored the car. This photo was shot in June of 1991. At the time the car was 71 years old and my grandfather was 88 years old. In the middle 1960s my grandfather purchased two Liberty cars from a farmer in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. He completed the 1920's restoration sometime around 1966. He never restored the other Liberty which happens to be a 1922. His fondness for the 1920 stemmed from the fact that the car is identical to the car he was driving when he was dating my grandmother.

3 comments:

myblackfriendsays said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Steve ... what a great website, and what a great snapshot of the Liberty Touring Car. I love the photos and the stories behind them -- from the Miley-Podesta rivalry to the "bleacher barn." What a privilege to have been a passenger in this magnificent vehicle of yours.

Joseph Johnson said...

Steve,
You may be interested to know that a rather colorful character, a dentist by the name of Dr. Joseph R. Dedge, once owned a Liberty Six touring car down in the small south Georgia town of Alma in Bacon County. This car was used in a still locally talked about case down here where it was part of a drive-by shooting in downtown Alma, Georgia in 1920. The car, with its Firestone Non-Skid tires, is repeatedly mentioned in one of the trial transcripts of the murder case regarding the shotgun killing of a Judge Medders. Last time I checked, the clerk of Bacon County Georgia Superior Court still has a copy of the transcript and could probably get you a copy. It is interesting reading. Also, look up Dr. J. R. Dedge on the various websites, the best being a Ray City history blog.

I am Joseph Johnson, an attorney in nearby Waycross Georgia. My office number is (912) 283-5030. I own some Model T's and a couple of Model A Fords, including a 1931 standard phaeton, which I drive regularly. Still, I like the Liberty Sixes and am intrigued by the story of Doctor Dedge and his Liberty, which is probably long gone by now.