6:30 PM

The Restoration

Posted by Steve |




These two images show the 1920 Liberty when my grandfather was in the process of restoring the car. When I was young, I remember him saying that the only two things he didn't restore himself was the top and the leather upholstery. Those were both completed by someone in the Lansing area. When I take the car to shows, an old timer will occasionally tell me stories about how my grandfather restored this part or that part. For example: as legend has it, one of the splash aprons is original and the other my grandfather fabricated in the back yard. Apparently he somehow fashioned a die out of an old tree-trunk and then used that die to create a new splash apron. As a skilled tool and die maker, I don't doubt that my grandfather was capable of sort of thing.

0 comments: